Pages

Monday, September 16, 2013

Social Media Hiatus

A few of my loyal readers were astute to point out that I have not written a blog post in some time.  They are right.  I apologize guys!  I do have a reason, albeit maybe not a legitimate one haha.  I have have been on a social media hiatus.

Social media hiatus?  Yes!  I have been ditched my Facebook and Twitter accounts the past few weeks.  Honestly, part of me wants to delete them, but I keep them around for professional and networking purposes.  So what is the reason for the hiatus?  I needed a break!

I found myself wasting a lot of time and energy on Facebook and Twitter.  Granted a lot of it was because of boredom.  But overall social media can really be information overload.  Facebook sometimes just seems like digital vomit.  Everyone seems to think it is acceptable to share every aspect of their lives.  I often find myself Facebook stalking the random girl I went to high school with that I may not even have been friends with in real life, but I am Facebook friends with.  I felt bombarded with picture after picture of food and random things.  I see people writing about their thinly veiled thoughts of sadness or anger over relationships.  I am hounded to play Candy Crush or any other game.  After awhile Facebook and Twitter just seemed like too much.  And don't get me started on Instagram.  I do not have the time to look at everyone's billion selfies or "cool" filtered pictures of a glass. 

Sometimes I just miss the days before the internet and before camera phones.  I would love to catch up with a person and find out how they are doing with an actually conversation.  Hell, let's bring back letter writing or maybe compromise with an email?

I am still in my hiatus although I will check in here and there to see if I have to respond anything.  But as of right now Facebook and Twitter will stay deleted from my phone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! Be sure to share this page with your friends!