Pages

Thursday, January 23, 2014

Don't Call Me Sweetie




Dear Men/Women Who Call Me Sweetie:

Don't call me sweetie!  In fact don't call me sweetie, honey, hon, baby, darling or anything similar. So please refrain from using them.  I know that you probably don't see anything wrong with it.  You might even find it to be a term of endearment.  Listen up I don't know you man.  Lady I don't know you either.  Hey creepy guy online, I have yet to even talk to you on the phone.  You don't know me therefore no term of endearment is necessary.

Why do I hate pet names?  Well for one most of them are patronizing.  Do you call me these names because I am a female?  Do you think that I am a damsel in distress who needs rescuing?  Do you think that I am less of a person because I am a woman?  Do you think that my existence is any less valuable because I have breasts and a vagina?  Well I will let you know I am a strong female. I am just as smart as you.  I am just as worthy as being a person as you.  You can try to patronize me all you want but I will stand strong!

The other reason I hate pet names because it feels ageist.  I don't like that feeling of people thinking I am this cute kid.  It makes me feel like you don't take me seriously.  It as if you think that everything I say is humorous and I don't have the capacity to be serious.  I am 32 dammit!  I am might have a baby face but I don't have a baby tongue.  I am a force to be reckoned with.  And you most certainly will find out if you call me baby again!

So I think you get the point.  You can address me as Miss, Ms., or Ma'am. Save the baby talk for your boo's.

Thanks!

Di Mo

5 comments:

  1. I find this a very Maryland/Baltimore thing. And like it. To give and receive. Someone's intent -- if creepy -- is creepy, regardless of what they call me. Years ago, in my neighborhood, I was talking with a handful of pre-teen guys. I called one of the "honey," and a new-to-the-neighborhood (and -state) kid looked at me in HORROR! He said, "He's not your honey! You can't call him your honey!" To which I tried to explain what I meant, but I sensed it went over his head and didn't sink in. Perhaps though, with years in the area, he'd come to understand this perceived transgression. My latest? I am experimenting with calling people "love." Later, ma'am.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who cares what you think? If someone asks you NOT TO CALL THEM BY ANYTHING OTHER THAN WHAT THEY'VE ASKED, then you should RESPECT THEM.

      Delete
  2. I don't like being called, sweetie, cutie, baby, honey, boo ,and you just might me,or haven't seen me,or that your suppose to be my best friend( But your a man)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just a heads up, I am a man, and I can't tell you how many times I've been called sweetie/sweetheart/hun/babe by female strangers. Even more so from female coworkers. Are you trying to tell me these women are indicating I am an inferior human being?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! Be sure to share this page with your friends!