Thursday, January 23, 2014

Don't Call Me Sweetie




Dear Men/Women Who Call Me Sweetie:

Don't call me sweetie!  In fact don't call me sweetie, honey, hon, baby, darling or anything similar. So please refrain from using them.  I know that you probably don't see anything wrong with it.  You might even find it to be a term of endearment.  Listen up I don't know you man.  Lady I don't know you either.  Hey creepy guy online, I have yet to even talk to you on the phone.  You don't know me therefore no term of endearment is necessary.

Why do I hate pet names?  Well for one most of them are patronizing.  Do you call me these names because I am a female?  Do you think that I am a damsel in distress who needs rescuing?  Do you think that I am less of a person because I am a woman?  Do you think that my existence is any less valuable because I have breasts and a vagina?  Well I will let you know I am a strong female. I am just as smart as you.  I am just as worthy as being a person as you.  You can try to patronize me all you want but I will stand strong!

The other reason I hate pet names because it feels ageist.  I don't like that feeling of people thinking I am this cute kid.  It makes me feel like you don't take me seriously.  It as if you think that everything I say is humorous and I don't have the capacity to be serious.  I am 32 dammit!  I am might have a baby face but I don't have a baby tongue.  I am a force to be reckoned with.  And you most certainly will find out if you call me baby again!

So I think you get the point.  You can address me as Miss, Ms., or Ma'am. Save the baby talk for your boo's.

Thanks!

Di Mo

2 comments:

  1. I find this a very Maryland/Baltimore thing. And like it. To give and receive. Someone's intent -- if creepy -- is creepy, regardless of what they call me. Years ago, in my neighborhood, I was talking with a handful of pre-teen guys. I called one of the "honey," and a new-to-the-neighborhood (and -state) kid looked at me in HORROR! He said, "He's not your honey! You can't call him your honey!" To which I tried to explain what I meant, but I sensed it went over his head and didn't sink in. Perhaps though, with years in the area, he'd come to understand this perceived transgression. My latest? I am experimenting with calling people "love." Later, ma'am.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't like being called, sweetie, cutie, baby, honey, boo ,and you just might me,or haven't seen me,or that your suppose to be my best friend( But your a man)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! Be sure to share this page with your friends!