Pages

Sunday, December 1, 2013

Loving My Body

I was at one of my favorite boutiques dedicated to curvy girls (Non-paid shout out to K Staton Boutique!). It was small business Saturday and I was trying to do my part to stimulate the economy.  I am in need of a fly new dress for the holidays and since I am down 20 lbs (and counting) I thought it was a good way to treat myself.  I learned something very important this weekend.  I am hot!

I am embarrassed to say that loving my body shouldn't be a new revelation, but to me it kinda is.  You see I grew up always trying to hide my body.  When the style was everyone wearing baggy clothes I fit right in.  Of course when that style faded, I still held on like I was holding on to life itself.    It took me years to figure out that I was wearing clothes one maybe two sizes too big.  I even wore my shoes too big!  Even now as an adult who has lost weight I still find myself trying to cover up the flaws in my figure by just covering up everything everywhere.

But this particular shopping trip I decided to try on things that I would normally never wear just to see what it would look like.  Yes I tried on some body hugging dresses that I could barely put on much less take off.  And I was amazed!  I had a waist!  It had been hiding for some time.  I had these muscular legs.  I actually had a nice shape.  I am getting a little bit of a butt (no thanks to my mother, but I will save the topic for another day).  All of these great features I had been hiding because of this one tire thing around my stomach.  I had named it once after I saw that stand up special when Wanda Sykes named her stomach Esther Roll (if you haven't seen it you should look it up on YouTube!) but I have since forgotten the name.  Anyway, I was so afraid of this one spot that I hated that I was not able to highlight all of me.

So from now on I am going to stop bundling up my figure.  Of course I am not going to let it ALL hang out, ain't nobody got time for that!  I mean it is easy for everyone to love the good things about ourselves it is just learning to love our flaws that takes the most work and dedication.  But while working on loving this body that God gave me I am going to throw on some Spanx and keep it moving!  I suggest you do the same!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! Be sure to share this page with your friends!