Pages

Friday, March 1, 2013

Involuntary Vacation

For the past few days I have been on an "involuntary vacation".  What is an involuntary vacation you ask?  It is when one of my temp assignments is complete and I am sitting around waiting until the next one starts.  This unpaid vacation can last anywhere from a few days to a few months.  I am hoping that it is only a few days though.

I had been looking forward to having a few days off for awhile.  At one point I was working two jobs and almost every day of the week so I thought that I a little down time would be nice.  Don't get me wrong, I love down time.  However, I can actually relax when the money is coming in.

All my dreams of staying up late, sleeping in, and lounging around all day are non existent.  My body clock is set, I am up way before 9 every morning.  And I am not lounging around by any means.  I have a list of things that I have to do or that I have been meaning to do and I am crossing off a few each day.  Shoot, while I was writing this post, I crossed off a few more.

This might seem like a nice break right?  No it is not all!  First, there is that daunting feeling that maybe I won't find another assignment right away.  Every few hours in the back of my mind I am calculating my bills for the month and what my last paycheck looks like.  In case you didn't know this, I am a worrier.  I might hide it well on the outside, but inside I kind of freaking out.  But when that happens, I just have to pray and trust that God has my back.  Honestly, through this whole unemployment situation I have still managed to survive.  Of course I have had some low lows and high highs, but I have gotten through it.  God has provided for me, and for that my faith has remained strong.

Speaking of faith, I think I need to do some praying for patience.  When I am home my mom acts as if I am on a real vacation and my whole life is devoted to figuring out ways so she can get out of the house and spend money.  I feel like I want to pull a Dikembe Mutombo and tell my mom "no, no, no" or "not today".  If you don't know what I am talking about you have to see the Geico commerical lol.  Anyway, it seems like she thinks that all my time should include her.  And in my mind I feel like all my time should include very little of her  haha.

Yesterday mom and I went to the library.  We used to do this a lot when I was not working so I figured there would be no issues.  It is usually a win win situation.  Mom gets to read magazines and find books with the added bonus that she can keep herself occupied for a few hours.  So then I can spend a few hours virtually interrupted while applying to jobs.  Yesterday was a disaster!  She keep spilling popcorn on the floor and coughing.   I should have made her sit at another table!

The sad thing is, I already feel a little stir crazy and it is only what the third day?  It is funny how much I looked forward to being off, now I want to be back at work.  smh

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for making me laugh today. The popcorn on the floor and the coughing was hilarious. I have not been able to log in to work since Thursday and thought I invented the term involuntary vacation. I know exactly how you feel. We must continue to smile and count our blessings one by one.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! Be sure to share this page with your friends!